Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Orphan King by Sigmund Brouwer--Book Review

The Orphan King follows the story of Thomas, a young man living in a abbey with the desire to fulfill his mother's dying wishes. He escapes from the abbey, that has become his prison, and ventures out into the world. He finds himself on a quest to a dark place with three strange companions. With these three and his own knowledge he hopes to fulfill his destiny and learn the truth about his mother's past. But he's unsure if he can trust those he is with.

The description of the book was very well. I could tell the author did his research of knights and medieval times. The details were great and kept the story going.

However, I felt that the story line and the main character were lacking. I was confused most of the time as to what the actual point of the story was. I didn't understand Thomas' reasons from going out to this terrible place or for so easily trusting three strangers. I also didn't understand how he knew where to go and what to do. Perhaps it's because I have no read any other stories connected with this one. The ending felt too easy for Thomas to get what he wanted. He barely had a struggle, and he figured things out so quick.

I didn't really like Thomas' character. He wasn't consistent. Also, his sudden affection for the girl was a bit cliche. I felt he couldn't possibly be in love with her after knowing her a couple days. In my opinion, the pick-pocketing boy, John, was the best character in the story.

If someone is looking for a light, shorter novel about knights and castles, I'd suggest this. Otherwise, I think only younger aged people would enjoy this book.

For more on this book and the author go here:
Author's site
More on the book
Chapter One



-Jaguar Hero!
I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment