Monday, July 16, 2012

Crater by Homer Hickam-- Book Review

In a future world, humans have gone to the moon to extract helium-3, a product used for energy back on a war-torn Earth. Crater Trueblood is one of these moon miners, until he is chosen to go on a special mission to retrieve a package that will change life on the moon for good. The first two people sent after the package were assassinated. But Crater won't be alone on this journey. The mine owner's granddaugther Maria is coming with him. He must travel across the moon, through lunar territory with the threat of both outer space dangers and biological monsters that have been hired to hunt him.

Crater caught my eye because it was about life on the moon. I have always been fascinated with outer space and the stars. This book has only grown my interest in the worlds beyond ours. It takes a lot of scientific details and threads them throughout the story in a very intriguing way. In that matter, I found this book very cool.

There were a few parts that made me roll my eyes or sit there thinking: did that really just happen? It happened with some of the cliches of writing such as too-good-to-be-true characters, the girl is absolutely perfect and beautiful, and even childish fights between Crater and his best friend Petro. Those things brought the novel down a level. Also, I found Crater's character to be inconsistent. At times he was so nervous and scared about doing anything wrong, and then, in the next moment he was off doing something dangerous and risky without much fear. That bothered me.

Other than little things here and there, I thought the story was great. It was riveting with adventure and danger, cool space gadgets, strange biological creatures, and even a few surprises here and there. Any one who loves a good science fiction story is bound to enjoy this one, and it's especially good for the young teens and even tweens age.

I'm curious as to what will happen next in Crater Trueblood's life on the moon.



-Jaguar Hero!

I received this book for free from Thomas Nelson Publishing through booksneeze.com. I was required to give my honest opinion of the book, nothing more.

No comments:

Post a Comment