Wednesday, May 2, 2012

DragonSpell by Donita K. Paul-- Book Review

Imagine a world where dragons of every size, color, and even abilities roam. A world where wizards, gateways, and tiny creatures that wear light as clothes live. A place where the Creator of the world choose the unlikely to go on great tasks. This is the world of Amara.

Dragonspell by Donita K. Paul is a fabulous book. It takes the adventure of Lord of the Rings, the love of dragons from Eragon, and mixes in a little magic. I adored it.

The book follows the life of ex-servant Kale, who is on her way to a new life. But the creator of Amara, Wulder, has bigger plans for her. He has bestowed a gift on to her, the gift of the Dragon Keeper. Along with this, she teams up with a handful of others to find the meech dragon egg, a rare egg that has fallen into the hands of an evil wizard. Using her gift, Kale is expected to save the egg and Amara.

Donita K. Paul,
the author
From the start, the characters and setting are intriguing. There was clearly a lot of time spent in creating the fine details of Amara and its inhabitants. The characters who join Kale on her journey, whether for a short time or not, are all enjoyable and important. I can easily say they are just as unique and entertaining as the nine companions of the Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien. After all Wizard Fenworth and his librarian assistant are a quite humorous pair. They will not easily be forgotten.

The story line was compelling. Just when I thought the story was winding down and Kale would finish her task at last, another event would turn the group upside, even up to the last pages. It was awesome. There are a lot of good lessons throughout that even I learned as I read.

I would recommend this to anyone who loves fantasy, especially fans of Lord of the Rings or other questing and dragon books.



For more dragon fun, check out these sites and find the author on Pinterest!
Author's Website
Read the first chapter.

-Jaguar Hero!
I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Jaime. I loved the way you presented your review. Of course, I'm glad that you like DragonSpell. I am currently creating a world for a new series. Talk about fun. I've got characters that make me stop and laugh. Thank you again for your enthusiasm. You made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome. :D I love all the Dragon Keeper books and the Dragons of Chiril series too. I'm looking forward to your future releases! :D

    ReplyDelete