Friday, March 9, 2012

Eye of the Sword by Karyn Henley-- Book Review

Eye of the Sword is book two in the Angelaon Circle by Karyn Henley. It follows the newly appointed comain of the King of Camrithia, Trevin, on his adventures. He is assigned with the task of finding the missing comains (captains of the king's army). He, also, goes out of his way to help Princess Melaia find the other two harps that legend tells will restore the stairway to heaven. Trevin faces many trials, such as being accused for a deadly crime, a villain trying to slip his way into Princess Melaia's heart, and his dark past that threatens to return to haunt him.

At first, I wasn't sure what to think. I have not read the first book, and I was suddenly dropped into this strange world where angels are visibly present and interactive with humans. Very soon, I was wrapped up in the characters and the tale. I thought the whole land of the Three Kingdoms was clearly developed with the unique terminology, creatures, domination governments, and the somewhat fairy tale, somewhat medieval like setting. It was all consistent, too. I felt like I had been transported to this strange world of angels, kingdoms, and magical harps. It was incredible and interesting.

I, also, enjoyed Trevin's character. He has an unfortunate past of mistakes and dark times However, he proves his new found loyalty time and time again, and he focuses on making a better future of himself. He does have a bit of spontaneous actions that puts him hard spots, but he has a longing heart to become a better person.

Karyn Henley,
the author
I didn't quite understand everything going on, mainly due to the fact I hadn't read book one first. The angels on earth thing, along with the immortal Firstborns, are still a little sketchy in my mind. However, I was able to get past it and enjoy the story. I, also, though the love angel between Trevin and Princess Melaia was a bit cliche. Of course, he likes the princess, yet he's a low ranked man. And of course, she's "beautiful" even when she's covered in dirt and mess. It could have been displayed better, especially since Trevin came across a little too needy of being with her.

Other than that I rather enjoyed the book and all its mysterious twists that were revelead about Trevin's dark past. And I'm going to get my hands on the first book so I can find out what I missed. Check below for more stuff on Eye of the Sword.

If you could do me a favor and rank my review on Blogging for Books, that would be great. THANKS!



Author's Site
More Info
Sneak Peek of Chapter one!
More on the author

-Jaguar Hero!

I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment