Monday, February 27, 2012

Bourne by Lisa T. Bergren-- Book Review

Bourne: a small stream

I think this title is very fitting for the e-novella Bourne by Lisa T. Bergren. It is a shorter story of the lovely characters from 14th century Italy (see River of Time Series for the first three books). I absolutely adore these books and the addition of book 3.1 makes the series even better. (Plus... haha... the wonderful Lord Greco is on the cover, who couldn't love it!)

I feel very attached to these characters, so when Mrs. Bergren announced an e-book I was excited. I didn't want the stories to end.

While "bourne" might be a small stream, this story was no picnic. It was one hundred pages of excitement and heart-pounding action. There are still quite a few shady villains on the loose, bent on getting revenge.

The story is told from both Gabi's and Lia's perspectives. I liked it. It was a nice change. I got to see a little more of Lia's feelings of being stuck in medieval times. There is also more cute, squeal-worthy scenes between Lia and Luca's growing relationship. Oh it's adorable!!!! There's a particular part I rather enjoy, but I'll save that for you to find out about. :D
Lisa T. Bergren,
the author

However, I liked that I was still able to peek in at Gabi's life. She has become a great friend, and I wouldn't have wanted to lose her view yet. Lots of beautiful love scenes for her and Marcello.

The main conflict lies in the whole "secret" brotherhood Marcello, Luca, and Lord Greco have with other noble men. The enemy has taken in their hands to eliminate those connected to the brotherhood. It was very interesting and scary (night-time battles, creepy guys stalking people in the woods). But I got a glimpse of the secret brotherhood, and I'm longing to know even more than what was spilled in the pages (?) of Bourne.

I enjoy that both Gabi and Lia are praying more. It shows more of how their character has developed since they began to settle in the time for good. Mom and Dad are of great help also, tending to the wounded and giving sound advice. And... Lord Greco. I just feel so bad for him. Lia compares him to the "friend-less kid at lunch" and my heart almost shattered. He really needs someone in his life to give him hope.

I thought Bourne was absolute BEAUTIFUL. And it just makes me long for more of these characters. I encourage you to go out and read this lovely series (starting with Waterfall) if you haven't. And if you have been waiting for Bourne, as I have, go... go straight to Amazon or Barnes and Nobles or whatever else and download it ASAP. This is one e-book you don't want to miss out on.



Here are links to my review of the other books:
Waterfall
Cascade
Torrent

The author's website, twitter, facebook.
Bourne on Amazon
Bourne on Barnes & Noble
Bourne on Smashwords

-Jaguar Hero!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the fantastic, non-spoilery review! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! Great review. I haven't read it yet, but one of my fellow Yakety Yaks bloggers has and she loved it! I'm excited to get it in my hot little fingers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I tried to be as spoil-free as I could for those who hadn't read the other books.

    Grace: It's well worth reading! :D

    ReplyDelete