Monday, December 5, 2011

The Future Door by Jason Lethcoe-- Book Review

The Future Door by Jason Lethcoe, Thomas Nelson Publishing

In the second volume of the detective work of Griffin Sharpe and his uncle Rupert, they have to race against the clock. Literally. When Professor Moriarty steals Rupert Snodgrass' time machine device, the present begins to change. They must find a way to save time, save Sherlock Holmes, and save the world from the evil looming bad guy. But Griffin knows he is not alone, so he uses his faith in God and the gifts God has given him to solve the case!

I rather enjoyed this book, as well as the first one, No Place Like Holmes. Even though it is considered a children's book, I think any age of Sherlock Holmes fans will enjoy it. Because the time-traveling idea is rather complex, and some of the diction is large, and the more darker scenes, I would say this book is more appropriate for ages around eight and up.

Griffin is a remarkable young boy, who trusts God and tries to see the best in every situation. I think that aspect of him is really encouraging to children who are going through frustrating situations. Also, his clear wit and knack for solving problems is really cool and entertaining.

I liked all the references to Sherlock Holmes, such as "the game is afoot". Plus, adding him and Watson as characters was a great idea. There is also mini-mysteries of Griffin Sharpe with the answers in the back, trivia questions about the book, and British-related recipes. I like the addition of those which brought me more into the story and understanding of the time period and Britain.

I hope there are more books to come full of adventure and mystery. I can see the World's Most Secretive Detective becoming a very famous detective indeed through Mr. Lethcoe's written account of this young detective. In all, the crime shall be solved with Griffin Sharpe on the case.

More information about the not-so-famous detective can be found here.

-Jaguar Hero!

I received this book for free from Thomas Nelson Publishing through booksneeze.com. I was required to give my honest opinion of the book, nothing more.

No comments:

Post a Comment