Friday, December 30, 2011

2011 Book Survey: Part One

BOOKS:
1. Best book you read in 2011?
For me, this is a HUGE decision. There were so many good ones, so I can't just pick one!
-Forbidden by Ted Dekker and Tosca Lee (It was so breathtaking, and I'm going to be so antsy until the next book)
-The River of Time Trilogy (Waterfall, Cascade, Torrent) by Lisa T. Bergren (I absolutely love it so much!)
-Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan (I adore all the Percy Jackson books. The whole plot line of both series is just crazy!!)
There are many others, but to list them would take forever.

2. Most disappointing book/book you wish you loved more than you did?
I have a few, which is probably that good. :( These just didn't turn out as good as they seemed.
-Crossed by Ally Condie-- Matched was so good, and then, I just didn't enjoy this one as much. I loved the first person view of Ky. That was definitely my favorite part. But it became clear to me I didn't like Cassia, the main character, so that was kind of bad. It just seemed to drag on with no point either. I didn't really enjoy the end either and the multitude of deaths. :(
-Angel by James Patterson-- I thought it was absolutely ridiculous and dumb. The story line is going absolutely no where, Angel is just creepy, and who even likes Dylan better than Fang? NO-BODY. The first five books were great in the Maximu Ride Series, but the last couple have been real bummers. :(
-The Priest's Graveyard by Ted Dekker-- This is the one I wish I loved more. It was a good thriller, but the characters seemed to be killing for no good reason and it just seemed really messed up. Plus, there was all this hype about it, and it wasn't my favorite by him. I like his fantasy much better.

3.Most Surprising (in a good way) Book of 2011?
I think I'm going with LeviathanBehemoth, and Goliath by Scott Westerfeld. Throughout the trilogy there were many surprises and twists that I was sure the characters would never get through, even up until the last pages.

4. Book you recommended most to people in 2011?
Hands down, the River of Time Trilogy by Lisa T. Bergren. I told EVERYBODY to read it. And then I told them again and again and again..., so they will never forget it.

5. Best series you discovered in 2011?
I am going once more with the River of Time Trilogy by Lisa T. Bergren. They were the most enchanting and thrilling books. So good. I never want it to end! :D

6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2011?
Lisa T. Bergren!!!!!! (did you see that one coming?)
Jason Lethcoe (author of No Place Like Holmes books)
Lauren Oliver (author of Delirium, also a really great, intriguing book)
Jon S. Lewis (author of Invasion and Alienation, if you like aliens and such, yeah read his books!)

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
The Scarlet Letter by Daniel Hawthorne and A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. Both had things I don't necessarily approve of, but for some reason I actually enjoyed these two titles though my lovely english teacher forced me to read both. I wanted to finish them. :D

8. Most thrilling, unable to put down book in 2011?
I am sure I have like a bazillion to list, but here are a few:
the River of Time Trilogy-- I couldn't wait for them to be released!
The Circle Series by Ted Dekker-- I've read them before, but they are still so good.
The Dreamhouse Kings Series by Robert Liparulo-- Again, I've read them before, but I could read them over and over and never get bored.
The Skin Map and The Bone House by Stephen R. Lawhead-- Amazing. Can't wait for the next ones.
And a whole lot of other books. :D

9. Book you most anticipated in 2011?
The Final Hour by Andrew Klavan (Fourth in his Homelanders Series)
Forbidden by Ted Dekker and Tosca Lee (First in his Books of Mortals )
The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan (Second in his Heroes of Olympus Series)

10. Favorite cover of a book in 2011?
I have a couple:


I also like the River of Time Trilogy book covers, but since you are going to read those, I don't need to show you the covers. Haha! (or you can look on the left sidebar for pictures of the books).

11. Most memorable character in 2011?
There are a lot.
Deryn Sharp
-Deryn (or Dylan) Sharp or Mr. Sharp from Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan Trilogy. She is a girl, posing as a guy to join the British Military. So cool. And for the most part, keeps her disguise throughout the whole series (a few do find out, but that's not too important...). Plus, she's just so awesome, swinging off half-machine, half-animal zepplins, and causing problems, and rescuing "useless" prince(s). I liked her a lot.
Lord Greco
-Lord Greco from (you guessed it) the River of Time Trilogy. He's enchanting. And totally a bad guy. :D Plus, he's loyal and handsome and a bunch of other cool stuff I can't say without ruining the books.
-David King from Robert Liparulo's Dreamhouse Kings series. He's one cool 12 year old kid. He gets banged up and hurt and he just keeps going. He's got a big heart! I just love him!

12. Most beautifully written book in 2011?
There are a lot. And I want to just keep repeating my favorites over and over because they are so good so yes, the River of Time Trilogy, by far, was probably the best written I've read (at least for the first time this year). But I also thought Immanuel's Veins by Ted Dekker was very well written also. :D

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2011?
The Circle Series by Ted Dekker, Dreamhouse Kings by Robert Liparulo, Soul Surfer by Bethany Hamilton, and the River of Time Trilogy by Lisa T. Bergren.

14. Book you can't believe you waited until 2011 to read?
The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan. I finished The Lost Hero in the fall of 2010 and I turn the last page and it says: Coming Fall of 2011: The Son of Neptune. I was SO angry. I was like, I have to wait a WHOLE YEAR to read the next part. But I did it. :D
Also, The Final Hour by Andrew Klavan. This was another I-had-to-wait-about-a-year-until-I-could-read-the-next-one books. It was well worth it.
On the other side, I can't believe I didn't pick up Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan Series until this year either. I was like... I am so stupid. These books are so good, why did I forget about them?!

15. Favorite passage/quote from a book you read in 2011?
I write down so many quotes from books. These are my favorites in particular, but there are plenty more.
"He did not give only a small amount to satisfy the requirement. He was beaten and crushed and pierced until that blood flowed like a river for the sake of love. It was for love, not religion, that he died." -Immanuel's Veins by Ted Dekker.
"Friends come and go, but true, forever friends are never further away than the secret corner of your heart." -Christy Miller's Diary by Robin Jones Gunn
"'When you wake up in the morning, Pooh, what's the first hing you say to yourself?' ... 'What's for breakfast?'" -Piglet and Winnie-the-Pooh
"She felt like a princess swept off her feet by the greatest prince in all the land... only it wasn't the beautiful princess the prince had chosen. It was her, the one with the stub for a hand." -Red by Ted Dekker

I have lists and lists of quotes, a whole notebook full, that I just love. Some are on the right sidebar. I wish I hard room to write them all down. Some are so powerful! :D

16. Book you read in 2011 that you will most likely re-read in 2012?
Circle Series, Dreamhouse Kings, River of Time, Forbidden, The Hobbit, maybe a few others.

17. Book that had a scene in it that had you reeling and dying to talk to someone about?
Definitely River of Time and Forbidden. I'm sure other Ted Dekker books had scenes too and The Son of Neptune. I like was hovering over my friends as they read these books, so I could jump in the minute they read particular scenes because they were just so great.


Part Two will be up later, I just felt this was a long enough post. Hope you enjoyed and got a few ideas of some great books to read! :D

-Jaguar Hero!

2 comments:

  1. You might go by Jaguar, but I think you're a She-Wolf among book bloggers. Thank you so much for the repeated honors in your 2011 round-up. I'm seriously honored, m'lady. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome! :D Thank you for writing such fabulous books!

    ReplyDelete