Thursday, September 8, 2011

Waterfall Wednesdays Discussion 1-2

So, if you have read The River of Times Series by Lisa T. Bergren, they are having Waterfall Wednesday discussions! Please join... here is the link to the information page. www.lisatawnbergren.com


Since, I got confused on what exactly we were supposed to do for this discussion, I'm starting a bit later. However, I'm going to try to keep up and answer the questions I missed... so these are from Discussion 1 and 2.


Discussion 1 Questions (Chapters 1-6):
Waterfall opens with the introduction of Gabi, shes depressed, a little angry and is dealing with feelings of loneliness. Are you connecting with her this soon in the novel? Do you see things you like or dislike?
At first, I suppose, I wasn't quite sure what to think. I have never really lost someone close to me (closest was my grandparents). But I do relate to loneliness (who doesn't?). So I guess I did connect with her right away.


Gabi gets to time travel back to 14th Century Italy- The Dark Ages in its prime. Is there anytime in history that fascinates you and would you travel back if you could?
Oh! I have loved many different time periods, including the Middle Ages. I mean, who doesn't like knights and castles and stuff? I've always thought it'd be cool maybe to go back in time to like when Jesus walked the Earth or the early Christians. Maybe even when Noah was building the Ark. I think it would interesting to see all the animals together and stuff. Every since I was little, and reading The Magic Treehouse Books by Mary Pope Osborne, I've been fascinated with anything historical! It's interesting.


Most of the men, including Marcello have a very set opinion about a woman's place. Gabi gets manhandled a bit in these first few chapters, and even gets asked if shes a witch. The men are shocked when Gabi rides a horse like a man and shimmies down the castle walls. What do you think of mens mentality back then? Gentlemanly, chauvinistic, simple-minded?
Well, I think it would be better if men were gentlemen and chivalrous. But then, they do think girls can't do much but have babies, which would be rather annoying. It was a different time, and they were basing their society on what has always been. It's true, I think, men are usually stronger and more protective, but it doesn't mean women can't do anything. I'm sure it is shocking to see a woman to crazy stuff, that in their world, only man do. 


When Gabi becomes a part of this era, the people are immediately intrigued but suspicious of her. Many judge her by her difference. Do you think this is fair? Have you ever been in a situation where you felt like an outsider or that others were misjudging you?
I'm sure I've been judged, but I don't let it bother me. The way of the world is to judge and give stereotypes. I try not to, but sometimes it is difficult. Judging is never fair. I mean, how can it be when you don't really know the reasoning behind a person's actions or appearance


What do think the coolest thing would be about living in the Dark Ages? What would be the worst?
The knights for sure. Haha! Just kidding. I think it would be cool though to live in a castle of some sort. Oh, and the dancing is probably much better then, than now. I think the worst would be the hygiene issues. And the fact that there isn't any toilets or showers. Ick. I don't know, I like having running water and being healthy.


Discussion 2 Questions (7-11):
1. Gabi's search for her sister is made increasingly difficult by the fight for territory between Castello Forelli and Castello Paratore. At this point, do you think the rivalry is warranted? Why or why not?
Oh, back then they fought for land and such, but as of now there wasn't a real reason for gaining each others land. They were just fighting to fight and get on each other's nerves. I don't think they were provoking a war or anything.


2. Gabi aids Fortino by having his sickroom cleaned out and using steam to loosen the phlegm inside his lungs so he could breathe better. Have you ever found yourself in a situation that required you to rely on home remedies to aid yourself or another? What are some of your favorite home remedies?
I don't really have any home remedies. If I have a headache I take something to ease it. My thoughts are, try not to get sick and if I do just relax, drink some liquids, and get better ASAP. When my throat hurts, I drink hot chocolate, though I don't know if that actually helps or not.


3. Marcello and his men don't hide their surprise when they learn that Gabi is skilled with a sword. What did you think of this development? Has your initial impression of Gabi changed? Do you have any secret skills?
Oh! I thought it was awesome that she could fight. I think it would be so cool to learn to fight with a sword. I think she seems more of a independent character now. She doesn't need to rely on some big, strong man to help her survive (like the other girls in the story *coughsRomanacoughs*). She can do it all. Plus it makes her unique and not just some girl who fell through a time tunnel and fell in love with a guy and is a poor girl who can't do anything with her life...


As for me? Hmm. I might have a few tricks up my sleeves. But if I told you, they wouldn't be secret anymore, now would they?


4. "Our lips were so close, I could feel the heat of his breath on my skin." Gabi and Marcello's feelings for one another are beginning to stir. What do you think of Marcello as a romantic interest thus far? What do you think of his intended?
He seems pretty awesome, too awesome. haha. I mean, coming from a 21st Century girl, what guy is actually like that (I guess, only 14th Century knights... *sighs*). If I was Gabi, I'd be thinking this is too good to be true. But maybe, he'll have his faults that will make him even more attractive. His intended... ugh. She's a snob. I don't know, the way she is makes me want to grab Gabi's sword and teach her a lesson. 


5. Marcello and Luca take turns teaching Gabi the dances of Toscana. Would you have liked to attend a ball like the one Gabi was practicing for? Do you like to dance? Do you know any cool dance moves?
Oh! I think it would be wonderful to go to a ball like that. I hate dances at my school because the dancing is lame or bad and the music is stupid. But I think it would be fun to go to a real one, with real dance moves. Depending on my mood I like to dance, but I have never really danced, just stupid stuff. My dance moves are awesome, but sadly I cannot say they are truly mine. I've learned them from various people in my life (my youth pastor, my friends, and random people from bands...)


Well, those are all the questions from the first two discussions. Feel free to read and join in. More will be coming later...


-Jaguar Hero! 





4 comments:

  1. LOL! "knights and castles and stuff" Of course it would be cool to check out middle age stuff!

    So glad you will be joining us for WW! It is never too late. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA! Thanks. I meant to do this earlier, but I got confused on what we were actually supposed to do. I figured it out last night when I was about to go to bed... haha. I'll be ready for next week for sure though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo! Welcome to the party! I enjoyed reading your answers and look forward to you joining us next week too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Thanks so much for reading. I like this party a lot, too! :D

    ReplyDelete