Monday, September 12, 2011

The Skin Map by Stephen R. Lawhead-- Book Review

Kit Livingstone has a life that's going no where. One day, he meets his great-grandfather, Cosimo, a man that's supposed to be 100 years older and dead. He learns that the landmarks of the world are really landmarks for ley lines, or pathways, to other dimensions, worlds, and times. When he accidently loses his girlfriend jumping from one dimension to the next, he must aide his great-grandfather in bringing her back. In order to do that, they must hunt for the map of the ley lines. The map was tattooed to one man's body, a mand who claimed to have found the answers to the universe within the map. Kit and Cosimo are not the only ones looking for this "Skin Map", and it proves to be a dangerous task.

At first glance, I thought this book was going to be very interesting. It has all these crazy symbols on the cover, and the otherworldly traveling really compelled me to read this. Well, I believe it fulfilled my expectations and more.

The story branched into multiple stories. At some points, I was reading about Kit and Cosimo trying to find the skin map, other times I was reading about what happened to Wilhemina, Kit's lost girlfriend, and last about the man with the map tattooed on his skin. Yet, the splitting didn't affect the storyline. I could follow it pretty easily, and it was interesting how the stories all connected and intertwined with each other in different ways.

Stephen R. Lawhead
the author
There is a lot of description about everything. After all, they do go to different places and countries most readers aren't going to recognize. Even so, at times I was thinking, this description is going on and on. But then I realize it is Lawhead and he does that in a few of his other books, also (such as his King Raven Trilogy). Anyways, it doesn't take away from the whole book, but more adds to it.

There were two things I didn't really like. One was that since they are in different countries they are speaking in other languages. For the most part it's written in English, but every once and while the other language would spring up with various words. Well, there wasn't a whole lot of translation. I guessed on some of the words, but for the most part I was thinking "What are they saying?". However, overall it doesn't take away from the story. Another thing was explaining the ley lines and such. The explantion was  hard to follow, so in fact, I felt like Kit, completely overwhelmed and confused. I suppose Lawhead might have done that as an affect to the story. But it also could be because ley lines are actually hard to explain in simple terms, so they end up confusing.

I think there could have been a better emphasis on God. Yes, the one character Etzel, always wanted to praise God for their success and other things like Providence were thrown in there. But maybe there will be more later.

All in all, the story was exciting and interesting. It was easy to follow for the most part, and it's a very unique look at the world around us. I hope to continue to read this series in the future as more books are released.


Here is the link to an author trailer about the book.

-Jaguar Hero!


I received this book for free from Thomas Nelson Publishing through booksneeze.com. I was required to give my honest opinion of the book, nothing more.

No comments:

Post a Comment