Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Thunder Dog by Michael Hingson-- Book Review

Thunder Dog is the true story of Michael Hingson's journey down 1,463 steps of the World Trade Center on 9/11. The difference between Michael and the thousands of other people in Tower 1 is he is blind. So, while trying to escape, Michael does his best to lighten the mood for others walking down the stairs. Because of his lack of sight, he decides to put his trust in his guide dog, Roselle, and in God's hands.

Normally, I'm not a huge non-fiction reader. This book, however, intrigued me. Considering the book is mainly told from a blind man's point of view, there isn't a whole lot of visual descriptions. This makes the story unique and interesting.

When 9/11 occured I was in second grade, so I didn't really know a whole lot about what had happened. Oh, I knew we got attacked and it was horrible. I was not affected by this event like the whole of New York was. So, this book, personally, gave me a new look into that fateful day almost ten years ago.

At the end, Michael gives three reason for writing his story. "First, if it would help people better understand blindness and the fact that the handicap is not being blind but rather the attitudes and misconceptions people have about blindness... Second, if it would help people understand how the guide dog relationship works... And third, if it would help people move on from 9/11 and discover some of the important lessons to be learned." I feel that all three of these reasons were accomplished as I read the story.

It explains a lot of scientific information about different subjects, like blindness, guide dogs, and what happened on 9/11. Majority of the time, I enjoyed learning about these things. It was never boring.

The book also opens up a window into Michael's life as he grew up blind. He told different, memorable stories about learning to deal with his blindness and how he felt he was no different than other kids. He did not see his blindess as a handicap, just a slight difference.

Michael and Roselle
It's truly an inspiring, heart-felt story. It proves that Man's best friend is a dog, and it shows we all need to trust others in times of need, whether they be furry or not. And above all we need to trust God no matter what we go through.

In one part of the book, Michael writes, "God uses more sophisticated and even mysterious ways to guide and protect, but even thought I don't always understand how he works, I am comforted and confident knowing that he is at work in my life."

-Jaguar Hero!

I received this book for free from Thomas Nelson Publishing through booksneeze.com. I was required to give my honest opinion of the book, nothing more.

No comments:

Post a Comment