Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Final Summit by Andy Andrews-- Book Review


David Ponder is a Traveler, one of many chosen persons that travel throughout history. Twenty eight years after his first adventure the future of the world and human civilization depends on him and the other numerous Travelers. They must answer the question give to them by archangel Gabriel, "'What does humanity need to do, individually and collectively, to restore itself to the pathway toward successful civilization?'" The most important figures in history have five chances to find the two word answer to this question. And David Ponder, an ordinary man, has been chosen to lead this summit of Travelers.

This is the second book Andrews has written about David Ponder. The first being The Traveler's Gift, which I have not read.

The beginning was a bit slow. I felt that the prologue seemed to not fit with the rest of the book, but it did give background to David Ponder's life which, if one had not read the first book, might be important to note. The actual plot line and where it got interesting to me didn't start until chapter four. This is when David arrives at the location of the summit. From there, I was very intrigued with the whole thing. I had a few hypothetical outcomes of what the answer was, but Andrews twisted things up in a way I never imagined would have happened. Plus the final answer is true to any age on Earth, so years from now it will still apply.

Andrews developed very good characters, considering most are deceased people I've only heard about in text books. He gave them distinguishable traits and even used some of their real words that were documented. I loved hearing about well-known figures of history as well as new ones. It was very interesting to see them all together, some fighting, some enjoying each other's company though centuries of age between them.

At one point, Ponder is angry with the situation and proceeds to say "'What the hell are they arguing about?'" To which Benjamin Franklin replies, "'First of all... don't curse. And especially not with that word. Not here.... Many of us made it in by the skin of our teeth--a decision at the last moment--and would rather not be reminded of how close we came to the alternate destination.'" This statement really stood out to me. I thought it was fabulous that Andrews pointed out that hell is the judgement to those who do not have Christ. I hope all who read this understand this, if they do not get anything else out of it. Without Jesus we are doomed to live in eternal suffering of fire. Accepting Him as Lord is the only way to everlasting life.

All in all, The Final Summit is definitely a book for lovers of history, and any one who enjoys long meetings that decide the fate of the world. I enjoy history to a degree, (please no documentaries) but this book was interesting and kept me wanting to find out the answer, which was very satisfying.

-Jaguar Hero! :D

I received this book for free from Thomas Nelson Publishing through booksneeze.com. I was required only to give my honest opinion, nothing more.

No comments:

Post a Comment