Thursday, June 16, 2011

Don't Stop at the Sky Cause there's Footprints on the Moon

I have fascination with space. It's so vast and beautiful. Millions of stars, galaxies, planets look down on us from above. It's quite overwhelming when I think about it, because it reminds me how small and tiny I am. It shows just how big God is to be able to create and control the whole universe. After all "He determines the number of the stars and calls them each by name." (Psalm 147:4)

How crazy is that? He cares so much about a star, which is basically a ball of gas. So how much more does He care about us, living and breathing and thinking human beings? I would say a whole lot. It's mind blowing.

I love to just stare up at the stars and the moon. I would say I am an adventurous person, and soaring with the stars seems like a pretty awesome adventure. To go into space, to see the Earth from above or to set on foot on the moon would be a pretty intense experience.

I also like rocket ships a lot. I like to draw them and look at pictures of them blasting off to the sky. There's just something about defying gravity and soaring to the heavens that makes me want to try it.

Most of my time is spent away from reality,  where I can do anything. I am a day dreamer, and since it's an impossibility to go into space or fly or anything, I can imagine it or write about it. Even C.S. Lewis knew the beauty of space and the stars. In The Magician's Nephew during the creation of Narnia, this is what he wrote

"the blacknesss overhead, all at once, was blazing with stars. They didn't come out gently one by one, as they do on a summer evening. One moment there had been nothing but darkness; next moment a thousand, thousand points of light leap out--single stars, constellations, and planets, brighter and bigger than any in our world."
Can you see it? I can. This kind of description fuels my enchantment by outer space. It's beautiful.

Stars are bright and though they are billions of miles away, we can still see them. Some of them could already be dead but we won't know for years and years because they are far away. It would take us eight minutes to know if our own star, the Sun, went out. Eight minutes! It's over 93 million miles away! It's astounding.

In Phillippians 2, Paul calls us to "Do everything without complaining or arguing so that you may become blameless and pure... in which you shine like stars in the universe." He is calling us to let Jesus' light shine bright in our lives. If we stood next to the star, we would be blinded, so if we are even a little like a star, people will be able to see the light.

In Daniel 12 it says, "those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars for ever and ever." Isn't the cool? We will be like the stars and shine brightly, as Paul suggests in Philippians, if we lead others to Christ or show them how to live purely. I think that's very awesome.

Well, I hope next time you see the stars you will stop and think about how great God's creations are. And that you can shine like a bright star for others to see.

"And I don't need a telescope to see that there's hope, and that makes me feel brave."

-Jaguar Hero!

4 comments:

  1. "Beautiful" by Phil Wickham

    verse 2
    I see Your power in the moonlit night
    Where planets are in motion
    And galaxies are bright
    We are amazed in the light of the stars
    It's all proclaiming who You are
    You're beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! It goes along perfectly! :D It shows God's beauty in creation, just like it's supposed to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love this post so much! That bit about us not knowing the stars have gone out, I didn't know that. I love random, awesome, mind-blowing facts like that. And it's awesome how you tied all of that in to shining our light for Jesus. Beautiful.

    Jessy @ Barefoot in the Snow

    ReplyDelete